Friday, November 18, 2011

Learning in a Digital World Blog Post 6

     Technology allows me to access information more quickly and efficiently. The technology gives me access to research databases. I am able to use database filters towards finding pertinent journal articles. I am also able to narrow my search on the research topic. My ability to learn occurs differently in an online setting in comparison with a face-to-face setting. The online environment has its own situated possibilities – constraints (SPC) systems where there is, “a range of what is possible for the learner to learn as well as the appropriate instructional methods and media is to be employed” (Driscoll, 2005, p. 414). Access into the classroom of an online setting is through a course page. There are essential bi-weekly resources which include books, journals, blogs, video webpages, etc. for the learner to review. All assignments go through an online classroom. Interactions take place through asynchronous classroom discussions. As a learner, I am able to reflect on the literature and assignments more easily and develop self-regulatory learning skills.

     Multiple sources of information and problem-solving allow me to develop my own personal theory for learning and instruction. Driscoll (2005) emphasizes teaching and learning instruction as (a) prescriptive – oriented to solving problems of instruction, (b) systemic – focused on relations among possibilities and constraints produced in a situated instructional context, (c) wholistic – based on integration of contemporary learning theory, and (d) humane – founded on respect for the personality of individual learners (p. 413). The Universal Constructivist Instructional Theory (UCIT) covers a, “variety of different learners, different learning environments, and different subject matters” (Driscoll, 2005, p. 413). Instructional designers create learning systems that relate to instructional systems. Instructional designers need to be reflective. New theories provide instructional designers with different experiences. Instructional designers gain different experiences. Practical knowledge will serve to temper theoretical understandings. Instructional designers enable instruction to be as good as it can be (p. 416).

Reference:
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.).
Boston, MA: Pearson Education.
 

2 comments:

  1. Vaughn,
    I agree that discussion via the discussion board allows us to reflect before responding. In a face to face environment responces are quick. I have found myself reading discussion posts then not responding for several days; this allows me to reflect more deeply.
    It seems you and I have corresponded through our blogs and discussions often through this course, I wish you well in your future classes!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaughn,

    You are right, in face-to-face interactions we are forced to immediately have a response or to make a decision whereas in an online environment we are able to absorb and reflect on the information in which we are being presented. I haven't thought about this aspect of online learning. I simply prefer online due to the fact that I do not have time to devote driving to and from a traditional university, nor do I have time to sit through lectures and labs. Online learning works for me because I can do with when and where I choose. Great post!

    ReplyDelete